- EMLA cream is optional. You may apply the EMLA cream 1 and 1/2 hour before the procedure around the base of the penis (the lower pelvic area above the penis shaft) and thickly coated with cream wrapped in simple kitchen plastic cling wrap. The cling-wrap is left open at the end free end so that urine can pass through. This can reduce pain during and after the circumcision.
- Babies should not be fed for 2-3hrs before the procedure (ie: no breast milk or formula), as we need them to be ‘hungry’ during the procedure. This avoids painful indigestion from a recent meal, though is not so long that your baby will be overly hungry.
- Parents need to bring in a bottle of expressed breast milk or formula so baby can be fed during the procedure. This significantly minimizes stress and discomfort.
Alternatively babies can suck on a dummy or a 5% glucose solution can be administered to the infant which acts as a natural pain reliever.
- Please bring disposable nappies.
- Please bring one jar of petroleum jelly(Vaseline type product), which needs to be used after the procedure as a barrier between the nappy/underwear and the penis.
- The operation takes 15-30 minutes and is carried out at the doctor’s surgery. It is advisable for adult to have someone drive you to the appointment and back home.
- If a medical certificate is required please let staff know before your procedure so one can be arranged.