- EMLA cream is optional. You may apply the EMLA cream one and a half hour before the procedure around the base of the penis and above the penis shaft ( thickly coated with cream wrapped in simple kitchen plastic cling wrap). The cling-wrap is left open at the end so that urine can pass through. This can reduce pain during and after the circumcision.
- Babies should not be fed for 2-3hrs before the procedure (ie: no breast milk or formula), as we need them to be ‘hungry’ during the procedure. This avoids painful indigestion from a recent meal.
- Parents need to bring in a bottle of expressed breast milk or formula so baby can be fed during the procedure. This significantly minimizes stress and discomfort.
Alternatively babies can suck on a dummy or a 5% glucose solution can be given to the infant which acts as a natural pain reliever.
- Please bring disposable nappies.
- Please bring one jar of petroleum jelly(Vaseline), which needs to be used after the procedure as a barrier between the nappy/underwear and the penis.
- The operation takes 15-30 minutes and is carried out at the doctor’s surgery.
- If a medical certificate is required please let staff know before your procedure so one can be arranged.